Wednesday, April 3, 2013

More then just music: a journey to discovering who you are.

For music fans of all types of genres music has become more than just something to listen to. It is an outlet, it is a way to get away from the world for just a little bit. It is a way to lose yourself and become the person you have always dreamed of being. It can bring you back to your feet even when you thought you had fallen too far to get back up.

Part of my concert family: Summer 2012
Through my music discovery journey, I have found that it is not only the music that helps you through life, but it is the other fans who truly help you. It is the fans that you stand nearly on top of for hours on end while waiting for your favorite band to come on stage who help you discover who you are and let you know that whatever you are going through you are not alone.

Music, I believe, is so powerful in that way. It has a way of bring people of all different walks of life together who would normally have no other interaction. For myself I have started to gather a music or  concert "family". They are people who I have meet along the way either online or at concerts who share the same level of passion for music as I do, who are just as "broken" or "lost" or ..."fill in the blank". That's the power of music the ability to bring people together to share life experiences with each other and to learn from each other. While you might not see the people ever again, that one moment you spent gossiping about the band you are about to see or telling other stories like you are old friends is a bond that is hard to break. If you do see them again it is a joyful and exciting moment and a "family" reunion of sorts.

I think it is because of this reason that I am so passionate about music. It is through music that I have found some of my close friends and it is through music that I have discovered who I am.

1 comment:

  1. That's so awesome!! Can't wait to go to a concert with you tonight! :) -Steph

    ReplyDelete